Tooth Crowns Kenmore
Dental crowns are a type of dental restoration that are commonly used to repair damaged teeth. They are essentially caps that are placed over the teeth to restore their shape, size, and strength. Dental crowns can be made of different materials, such as porcelain, ceramic, metal, or a combination of materials.
Why Would You Need a Tooth Crown?
Dental crowns can be used for various reasons, such as:
- To protect a weak tooth from further damage or decay
- To restore a broken or chipped tooth
- To cover a tooth that has undergone root canal treatment
- To improve the appearance of a misshapen or discolored tooth
- To anchor a dental bridge
- To cover a dental implant
Types of Dental Crowns
There are several types of tooth crowns, including:
- Porcelain or ceramic crowns: These are the most popular type of crowns as they look the most natural and are suitable for front teeth.
- Gold crowns: These are highly durable and can withstand biting and chewing forces well. They are often used for molars and teeth that are not visible when you smile.
- Metal crowns: These are made of alloys and are highly durable. They are often used for back teeth.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns: These are a combination of porcelain and metal crowns and provide a balance between durability and aesthetics.
The Procedure of Getting a Dental Crown
The procedure of getting a tooth crown typically involves the following steps:
- An initial consultation with your dentist to determine if a crown is necessary.
- The dentist will prepare the tooth by removing any decay or damage and shaping the tooth to accommodate the crown.
- An impression of the tooth will be made to create a custom-fit crown that matches the shape and size of your tooth.
- A temporary crown will be placed over the tooth while the permanent crown is being made in a dental laboratory.
- Once the permanent crown is ready, it will be cemented onto the tooth.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Tooth crowns offer numerous benefits, such as:
- They can protect and strengthen a weak or damaged tooth.
- They can improve the appearance of a misshapen or discolored tooth.
- They can restore the function of a tooth that has undergone root canal treatment.
- They can prevent further damage or decay to a tooth.
- They can be used to anchor dental bridges and cover dental implants.
Schedule an Appointment
Dental crowns are an effective and common dental restoration option that can improve the function and appearance of damaged teeth. There are various types of crowns to choose from, and your dentist can help you determine which type is best suited for your needs. If you are experiencing any dental issues or concerns, schedule an appointment with your dentist to discuss your options.